Truck Accident Attorney Fairview Heights, IL
If you’ve been injured, contact the experienced truck accident attorneys at Jerome, Salmi & Kopis, LLC today to request a free consultation.
Motorists interact with trucks and other large commercial vehicles every day. These trucks are necessary, as they provide the goods consumers need on a daily basis. Trucks must meet tight deadlines to deliver these goods, however, so they work long hours and are under immense pressure. Those priorities sometimes overtake the priority of keeping other people on the road safe, and unfortunately, truck accidents are quite frequent.
Truck accident victims are entitled to receive damages for their injuries, but claiming that compensation is not always easy. If you’ve been injured, contact the experienced truck accident attorneys at Jerome, Salmi & Kopis, LLC today to request a free consultation. Headquartered in Fairview Heights, IL, we serve all of southern Illinois and eastern Missouri.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Most truck accidents are caused by the negligence of another party. While many accident victims are quick to blame the truck driver, fault sometimes lies with other parties, as well. The most common causes of truck accidents in Fairview Heights, IL and the surrounding areas include:
- Aggressive Driving. Truck drivers sometimes drive aggressively, just as other motorists do. A truck driver may tailgate, speed, or otherwise drive recklessly and cause a crash. When a truck driver acts aggressively, it is even more dangerous because trucks take much longer to slow down and come to a full stop—so accidents are much more likely.
- Inexperienced Drivers: Operating a truck properly takes a great amount of knowledge and experience. When an inexperienced driver operates a truck, the truck driver or the trucking company may be at fault.
- Distracted Driving: Truck drivers have many distractions when they are on the road. Even when a driver obeys the texting and driving laws of the state, they often eat and drink on the road, listen to music, communicate with other truckers, and use navigational apps when driving in unfamiliar locations.
- Route Unfamiliarity: Truck drivers often travel on roads they have never been on before. They may be unfamiliar with tight turns, one-way roads, and more, which could all cause a crash.
- Improper Lane Changes: Trucks have large blind spots on all four sides. Still, truck drivers are expected to know how to check these blind spots and ensure there is not another vehicle in them when changing lanes.
- Improperly Loaded Cargo: Cargo that is not loaded properly onto a truck can shift during transport, throwing the entire truck off balance. This can cause a trucker to lose control of their vehicle, resulting in an accident.
These are just a few of the most common causes of truck accidents. At Jerome, Salmi & Kopis, LLC, your truck accident lawyer will identify the cause so they know which party to hold liable for the crash.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
Due to their sheer weight and size, truck accidents result in some of the most serious injuries. These injuries sometimes have life-long effects for accident victims. The most common injuries sustained in truck accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs). Brain injuries occur for a number of different reasons. An accident victim may hit their head inside their vehicle or on the ground after being thrown from their car. An object may hit a victim’s head, or penetrate the skull and brain, which can also result in a TBI.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. These injuries are very common and are some of the most serious sustained in a truck accident. The higher up the injury is on the spine, the more severe it is for the accident victim.
- Amputations. An amputation can occur at the site of the crash or a limb may be so severely injured it cannot be saved and must be surgically amputated. Losing a limb will have a lasting impact on accident victims and will result in a drastic change to every aspect of their life.
- Burn Injuries. Any accident has the potential to cause burn injuries. However, the gas tanks in trucks are much larger than those in smaller passenger vehicles—and when they explode, it is catastrophic. Burn injuries are very painful, take a long time to recover from, and can result in complications, such as infections and nerve damage.
- Facial Injuries. Fractures to the face and injuries such as eye damage can cause disfigurement, blindness, and deafness.
Sadly, these are just a few of the injuries a person may suffer during a truck accident. A truck accident lawyer can help accident victims recover the full compensation they need to recover from these injuries.
Get Legal Help Today
If you or someone you love has been injured, the experienced truck accident lawyers at Jerome, Salmi & Kopis, LLC can assist with your case. We know how to identify the liable parties after these crashes and how to help you secure the full settlement you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our skilled attorneys.
Discuss Your Case
Get a free face-to-face consultation with a JSK lawyer now.