Jerome, Salmi & Kopis, LLC – Law Firm in Fairview Heights, IL


I Fell at the Store, What Should I Do Now?

Falling down is one of those incidents that can cause 3 layers of pain. First, it hurts your pride because people see you in a helpless position. Secondly, it physically hurts because it causes injuries to your bones, muscles, and joints. Third, a slip and fall can also hurt your wallet by leaving you unable to work. But you may not have to accept this as your reality. With help, you might be eligible for financial compensation and assistance finding great medical care, whether you have health coverage or not. A slip and fall lawyer can help you recover faster in most cases.

Why People Slip in the Store

Slip and fall injuries occur inside of stores for a variety of reasons. One of the top reasons is a wet floor. People also slip and fall on obstructive items such as food items, toys, and the like. In rare cases, people fall because of untied shoelaces or something similar. Rarer still, some people fall because they’re walking while they are distracted by a conversation with another person or a cell phone call. All those situations can cause slip and fall accidents, and they may all be eligible for compensation; yes, even the ones that involve shoelaces could be eligible for compensation. But it really depends on the specific facts of your case. Just don’t assume you are out of luck without first talking to a lawyer.

Who’s Fault Is a Slip and Fall?

It is important to establish fault in a slip and fall occurrence, because it’s one of the qualifying criteria in a personal injury case. In many cases, the establishment or an employee of the establishment is responsible for the occurrence because of a form of neglect. The most classic slip and fall accident type is the one where the patron falls on a wet store floor because no one advised the person that the floor had just been mopped. Businesses sometimes are at fault because they don’t clean up food spills right away, or they don’t have a regular cleaning crew that removes dangerous items from the floor’s surface. You can conduct a search for a “personal injury attorney near me” to find one who can assess your slip and fall situation. The attorney may find that more than one person is at fault, but that may not affect the outcome. You could still be eligible for compensation if your fault is less than the company or employee. Only the attorney can tell you for sure.

What’s a Personal Injury?

A personal injury is any injury or accident that occurs because of another person’s negligence. Some of the most common types of personal injuries are car accident injuries, slip and fall occurrences, medical malpractice situations, product liability cases, dog bites, and so forth. The similar factor in all personal injury cases is that one of the parties acted in a way that caused harm to the other party. That could mean a doctor administered the wrong medication to someone, or it could mean that a store owner didn’t put a “wet floor” sign out to protect his customers.

Does My Slip and Fall Count as a Personal Injury?

Your slip and fall incident will count as a personal injury if you can prove that you have been injured. Next, you will have to prove that neglect was the main cause of your injury. Finally, you will have to prove the amount of expenses and damages that the accident caused you. That is why you need to face such a case with the help of a reliable and trustworthy attorney. An attorney will analyze the case and figure out the best way to get you the compensation you deserve for your pain and suffering.

How Can an Attorney Help?

A seasoned personal injury lawyer can help in many ways. First, he can assess your case and let you know if you are eligible to receive monies for your incident. Secondly, the attorney can collect all your documentation and then try to contact the other party to settle the case out of court. An out-of-court settlement can save you a lot of time and money. You won’t have to worry about suffering while you wait for the case to go to court. However, your attorney will fight for your compensation even if you have to go to court with the other party.

How Much Money Can I Get?

The amount of money you get from a slip and fall incident will depend on many factors. Your slip and fall lawyer will combine all of your medical bills, medication costs, lost earnings, and more, in order to come up with a number to ask for in compensation. If the other party is found to have been extremely neglectful, then you may qualify for punitive damages as well as compensatory damages. Compensatory damages will cover your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. Punitive damages are designed to deter the other party from causing any future incidents. These are extremely rare and may be capped in some states. Punitive damages are not used to compensate for harm, rather, they are there to punish wrongdoers. To receive this type of damage, you must show willful and wanton or reckless behavior. An experienced attorney can help you determine if punitive damages are available in your case.

What Can I Do With the Money?

The settlement you receive from a personal injury case is yours and yours alone. You can use it to further your treatment and recovery from the incident. It is yours to use if you decide you want to buy a new car, buy a home, or go on vacation. There may be unpaid medical bills, liens, attorney fees, and litigation costs that must be reimbursed from a settlement or verdict. However, your attorney can help you to estimate these amounts and understand them while negotiating with the insurance carrier. This way you know how much to request in order to clear (or take home) after all these things are paid.

Now that you know the basics about slip and fall occurrences and what they mean for you, contact a reputable attorney’s office if you’ve experienced a slip and fall and schedule a consultation. You might be pleased to find that your incident is eligible for compensation, and the attorney you contacted is willing to take your case. You may even have access to contingency representation, which means you will not have to pay for representation until you receive your settlement check. Start your journey now by calling an attorney ASAP.

powered by Typeform

If you have contracted COVID-19 as part of your work environment, please contact us and we can discuss if your condition falls under the Workers’ Compensation Act.



If you have contracted COVID-19 as part of your work environment, please contact us and we can discuss if your condition falls under the Workers’ Compensation Act. If we can prove that you contracted your virus as part of your work environment, you would be entitled to compensation that would include payment of all medical expenses; lost time benefits while you recovery; and a settlement for any ongoing problems after you recover. 


Please note that in Illinois, first responders and essential employees are presumed to have contracted COVID-19 at work.  Missouri recognizes that same presumption but limits it to first responders.  Regardless, if believe that you contracted COVID-19 at work, please contact us immediately so that we can inform you of your rights under the Workers’ Compensation Act.


Scroll to Top