Motorcycle Accident Attorney Fairview Heights, IL
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, the experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at JSK Law in Fairview Heights, IL can assist with your case. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Fairview Heights is home to many motorcycle enthusiasts, but sadly, the roads are not always safe for bikers. Other drivers on the road do not always watch for bikers the same way they watch for other motorists and fail to provide them with the respect and distance they need. Additionally, bikers have much less physical protection than other drivers and are essentially open to the road. For this reason, when a motorcyclist is involved in a crash, it can result in some of the most serious injuries.
When a biker is hurt due to the negligence of someone else, they can file a personal injury claim to recover compensation for their losses. These claims are inherently complex, however, and insurance companies and juries sometimes have a negative bias toward motorcyclists. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, the experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at JSK Law in Fairview Heights, IL can assist with your case. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a number of reasons, including but not limited to:
- Dooring accidents: When a driver enters or leaves their vehicle, they sometimes open the door right into the path of bikers, which can result in a dooring accident.
- Improper lane changes: Drivers may check their blind spots to look for larger vehicles but fail to see that a smaller vehicle, such as a motorcycle, is in the way. They continue with the lane change and hit the biker as a result.
- Poor road conditions: While a pothole or small crack in the road does not pose a significant danger to large vehicles, they can be disastrous for motorcyclists. A biker may lose control and become involved in a very serious crash.
- DUIs: Driving under the influence is one of the most reckless behaviors drivers can engage in, but many do every day. When a person is intoxicated, they do not have proper judgment, and their reaction time is slowed, which can result in a motorcycle accident.
- Distracted driving: It is illegal to text and drive in Illinois, but drivers do not always comply with the law. Drivers also face many other distractions as well, including eating, drinking, loud music, and rowdy passengers.
- Defective motorcycle parts: It is not always drivers who are at fault for a motorcycle accident. When motorcycle manufacturers do not ensure their products are safe, they can break down on the road and cause a crash.
Sadly, the above are just a few of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents that form the basis of personal injury claims.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accident Claims
Motorcyclists suffer some of the most serious injuries after an accident. Some of these injuries are common in other types of traffic accidents, such as broken bones and back and neck injuries. However, motorcycle accident victims also suffer from unique injuries, as well.
- Road rash is a very common injury after a motorcycle accident. Road rash is a series of abrasions and lacerations on a biker’s body. It is caused when the biker falls to the ground and perhaps even slides along the ground after the accident.
- Motorcycle arm is very similar to road rash and occurs when a biker reaches their arm out to help break their fall.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is also very common after a motorcycle accident. While a person may suffer from PTSD after any crash, it is more likely after a motorcycle accident due to the traumatic nature of these crashes.
Regardless of the type of injury suffered in a motorcycle accident, accident victims should speak to a lawyer who can assess their losses and help them claim the full compensation they deserve.
Damages Available in Motorcycle Accident Claims
No one can determine the value of a motorcycle accident claim without first fully reviewing the facts of the case. Still, there are several common types of damages available in these cases, which include:
- Current and future medical costs
- Property damage and replacement costs
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Other out-of-pocket expenses
Some types of damages, such as pain and suffering, are very difficult to calculate because they do not have a dollar value. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Fairview Heights, IL will understand all the losses an accident victim has suffered, and how to value them accurately.
Get Legal Help Today
Motorcycle accidents are very scary—and afterward, you deserve to receive the full compensation you need for your recovery. At Jerome Salmi Kopis, LLC, our motorcycle accident attorneys will review your case, identify the liable parties, and work to hold them accountable for paying the maximum damages you deserve. Located in Fairview Heights, IL, we serve clients throughout southern Illinois and eastern Missouri. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Discuss Your Case
Get a free face-to-face consultation with a JSK lawyer now.